Monday, March 4, 2013

Lily

She takes a deep breath and glances down at the test in her hands. Positive.  She's going to be a mom.  Not planned, not appreciated, not expected.  There goes her life. Or so she thinks.
She approaches the man responsible.  Tells him her story, tells him the truth.  He's going to be a father.  There goes his life.  Or so he thinks.
Weeks go by and she is tormented. Abandoned by the man responsible, abandoned by her father, left to spend her free time in her mind.  She can't do this. So there goes a life....
There goes a baby who never had a chance to breathe on its own, a baby who never learned to walk or talk.  A human never given the chance to struggle through the teenage years or mend a broken heart.  There goes a best friend, a spouse... a son or daughter... No college experience or future to stress about.  A ballerina or police officer has been taken out of the mix, a soccer star, a soccer mom, a teacher.  A future.  All because someone decided they didn't want to do it, couldn't do it.
So another future is withheld, another angel that never got to experience life on this earth. I'm stuck here wondering why I have to feel this way. Why I have to be part of this awful story. I offer to sacrifice my future so that another can have one, and I'm rejected.  So I'm left wondering why.  Why couldn't I stop this and why couldn't I do anything to help? Why....
Rest in Peace, Lily... I hope you know I loved you even though I never got to meet you. I wish more than anything in this world that I could have helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment