Tuesday, November 18, 2014

To Be Defined

Define: (V): to state or describe exactly the nature, scope, or meaning of.

As humans, we are constantly seeking the meaning of life.  We so desperately grasp at whatever we can to define ourselves in this world.  We seek fulfillment in things that are clearly not meant to fulfill our needs.  We constantly have to define who we are as a person, so that when someone asks us what we do or who we are, we'll have a clear definition.

I'm an athlete.  I'm a lawyer.  I teach Spanish.  I'm a missionary.  I'm a Mom.  I'm a best friend.  Student.  Sister. But what do these mean?  Just because we say these things, doesn't mean we are defining who we are.  

We let the world define us.  We seek reassurance that we are good people on the surface.  But there is something so negative about being defined by what people perceive us to be; to be unknown by what's in our souls.

Recently, I attempted to redefine myself to be someone that would be approved by another.  While I've gone through this in more destructive ways, I found myself compromising myself to be who someone else wanted me to be.  I didn't see how empty it made me feel.  I let someone else try and define me.  Unfortunately, I sought definition and joy in someone other than Jesus.  Of course, I ended up figuring out the stupidity of that the hard way.  I compromised myself, my desires, my personal dreams, to be someone else's happy ending instead of my own.  

Today, I choose to be defined by Jesus.  Not by another person, or religion, or my pastoral title.  I choose to be more than a sister or an auntie.  More than a missionary and more than a best friend.  

I choose to be defined by Jesus.  

I am a child of God.  I'm His daughter.  I am loved.  I am accepted.  I am redeemed.  I am a difference maker.  I am set free.  I. Am. Forgiven.

I won't let the world define me, I will let Jesus be my definition. The next time some one asks you to define yourself, what will your answer be?   Will you define yourself at the surface-- with your job title or position-- or will you let your heart define you? Will you be defined by the world, or will you help define the world with Jesus?  

BE the definition.  Don't let others define you.  Be defined by your Savior.  Be Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment