Tuesday, December 11, 2012

To Become A Missionary


I’m going to be the first to admit this (and many will after me), that Missions was not something I would have even considered an option a year ago.  But in retrospect, the last year of my life has gone through a miraculous transformation.  God has softened my heart to do something different, be different, get out of my comfort zone.  Missions.      

I remember when God told me that one day I would be a missionary. I just didn’t know it would be so soon. I ran a missions weekend in the Children’s Department in March of this year and turned the entire month of April into a missions focus.  My friend was in Africa on Missions and I decided to gather as many pairs of children’s shoes as I could to send to Bulembu in Swaziland.  We designated the entire month’s offering to missions and had guest speakers come and share about their missions experience.  I thought it would be fun for the kids to understand just what missions was, only to find out for myself that I was called to be a missionary.

 Less than a month later I made a commitment to go to Mexico on a missions trip. I was terrified before I left, only to find I had no reason to fear. I was so happy there. I struggled, I was pushed beyond my limits, and I missed home… but what I gained from that trip was a heart for the world.  I learned that life isn’t about my phone, how many people I can update on Facebook about my life, or about myself.  I learned that love is the key to anything.  With a language barrier beyond my control, all I could do was love and pray.  The connections I made with the people in Ensenada, Mexico are connections that are eternal.  Prayer opened up a world of transformation in my heart and gave me the ability to miraculously communicate with these people.  I was able to love without words.  I want to be back there right now, but I know that is not the place I am called to be.  I am called somewhere else.

The next step in my missionary walk is preparation to GO long term.  In order for me to GO, I need to attend missionary training through Foursquare Missions International.  In April 2013, I will embark on this training adventure with two weeks of intensive missions training.  I will be staying with fellow Missionary trainees who will deploy as early as next year or anytime in the future.  I will make connections with missionaries around the world, and gain Missionary knowledge beyond anything I have ever received before.  In order for me to take this trip, I will need to raise $1800.  This includes the cost of training, travel costs, and a few meals.  As an intern, saving funds is nearly impossible.  This is where I need the grace of God’s provision.  This is where you come in. 

In order for me to participate in this amazing opportunity, I am relying on support from my family and friends, prayerfully and financially.  If you are willing and able to give towards my missions training, Faith Center has a designated fund for you to give to.  You can give online at eurekafaithcenter.org and designate it toward International Missions, writing in “Teresa Repair- Missions Training” under special instructions, or write a check to Faith Center, designating the same thing in the memo and send it to Faith Center at 1032 Bay Street, Eureka, CA 95501.  I have confidence that God will provide for this amazing opportunity and I am so thankful to be given this chance to go further on my walk with God.  Thank you for investing in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment