Saturday, December 17, 2011

Sermon Manuscript

People have been asking, here is my first sermon.  I added some improptu jokes and personal comments that are not written in, but here is the jist :)


Late one night, about two weeks ago, I was praying.  I was confused and lost as I was trying to write this sermon. I’d been at a road block for about a week when I finally cracked.  I cried and asked God why He wasn’t helping me.  In a fit of hope, I grabbed my Bible that I had tossed to the side in anger. I was fidgeting with my Bible as I looked up in some ridiculous attempt to hear God’s voice.  I finally closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and said “okay, I’m ready to listen.” I looked down at my Bible to begin looking for some sort of inspiration.  On the page that I had “randomly” turned to as I was fidgeting with my Bible, were two verses. Highlighted was Matthew 7:7, which said, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” Funny right? Okay. So I had asked for help in this panic that my sermon was due in two weeks.  Now, what would this help be?  Well, the second verse was underlined. Matthew 6:34 which says, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”  Clearly, I was panicking more than necessary.  So I closed my Bible and slept very peacefully that night.  I woke up the next morning with fresh ideas and a clear understanding.  God was helping me. I had been in prayer through the whole process of my sermon, but I wasn’t in the Word. And God’s Word is the key to anything in life.  It’s funny really, because I wrote this sermon on Psalm 119, which is all about living in God’s Word.               

So, did you know, that not only is Psalm 119 the longest chapter in the Psalms but it also happens to be the longest in the Bible?  It focuses on God’s word. Loving it, following it, living it. Do you think that maybe, since it is so long and all about the Bible, that maybe, just possibly, reading your Bible might be important?   And since class is only a few hours long, I thought I’d save us all and only explain a portion of it.  Psalm 119:1 says “Blessed are those whose way are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord.” In other words, a happy and fabulous life is centered on God’s Word.  When God is the focal point in your life, you will know, because His blessings will be everywhere.

Moving to verses 9 and 10, the chapter continues to say this: How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.  How do you remain pure? By living according to God’s Word. Not only will God’s Word keep you in check but it will guide you to know right from wrong.  Seek God with all your heart and His commands will become easier for you to follow.  It will become like a second nature.

Verses 11 through 13 continue to say, I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.  Praise be to you, LORD; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. How do you not sin against the Lord? By keeping God’s Word in your heart. Like I said, it becomes a second nature to follow God’s decrees.  In my Theology classes these last two semesters, we focused a lot in knowing Theology for “coffee shop” conversations.  In other words, we want to be prepared for those questions that people ask that in normal circumstances, we wouldn’t normally know off the top of our heads.  We learn about scripture and Theology so we can be ready for those “coffee shop” conversations in the car, at work, or wherever it may come up.  We study God’s Word to prepare ourselves to speak in to people’s life as well as defend whatever misconception someone may have about the Bible.  Memorizing Scripture is like a weapon. It fights for you and protects you.   Keep His word safe in your hearts.

We continue in verses 14 through 16 to read, I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches.  I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.  I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.  We must not neglect His word. His Statutes (laws) are there to protect us.  It’s a weird concept to think about, loving rules, but when you look at it, the benefits are apparent.  This is kind of a complicated concept to grasp so I have an example.  I have these friends, my mentor and her husband .  They have been married for just over two years and have been together for 5 years or so.  As believers, they met young.  They made vows to remain pure until marriage.  No it wasn’t always easy, but they did make it to their wedding night.  They did it because the Bible tells you to wait for marriage and they felt it necessary and rewarding to follow this command.  Again, it is never easy to follow rules such as this but the reward for it is amazing.  They can both say that they have only been with each other and their relationship with the Lord has strengthened because of this choice.  Another example would be Matt and Heidi. They moved here from Seattle, WA almost two years ago because God called them here.  We hear all the time about their kids being back in Washington without them, and it isn’t easy to leave them behind, but they talk non-stop about the blessings that they have received by coming here. That is what this section of scripture means by I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches.  Rejoice in the decrees He has given us. Do not ignore them. Do not reject them. No matter how hard you want to resist.  Read your Bible daily to understand who God is and what plans He has for you.  Like I said, it benefits us most when we follow these decrees, statutes, and precepts.  God uses our obedience for good.  By the way, Heidi gave me permission to use you as an example.

Skipping ahead a little to Psalm 119:30, we read, I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I have set my heart on your laws.  God’s Word is the truth. 

I became a Christian at fifteen years old.  I set my heart on God’s word and refused to go back to living of this world.  It’s never been easy, with all the people and temptations in the world, but I have leaned on God’s Word and have prospered for it.  God’s Word, Laws, Truths, and Promises are what have gotten me through these last five years. Scripture is the one thing I can go to when I am not sure what God has wanted of me. When I first became a believer, my Bible is what taught me how to live my life. Romans 12:2 led me away from the patterns of this world and onto a path toward God’s Plans.  When I struggled with self-esteem and feeling loved, God showed my Isaiah 54:10, and I began to understand God’s unfailing love for me.  When I started questioning my future, I began seeing Jeremiah 29:11 everywhere I went. My confidence in God grew as he revealed those plans to prosper me.  As I have grown as a believer. I’ve noticed the importance of God’s Word and how it essential to lean on His truth at all times.

Psalm 119:45-47 says, I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts.

 I will speak of your statutes before kings and will not be put to shame, for I delight in your commands    because I love them.  We will have freedom in God’s Laws. God has set us free from sin. He has shown us in His Word how to live free from the stronghold of sin.  His laws will show us how to live a life for Christ without all the burdens of the struggles of this world.  Follow these precepts and you will find freedom in His commands.  Romans 8 verses 1 and 2 say, Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,  because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.  We are set free from sin and death.  All you have to do is seek God’s Word.  Talk about His word without shame to whoever will listen. Speak about His Word respectfully and in the right time and they will hear you.  Speak about God’s Word in love and compassion.  Delight in these commands.  Respect them. Live them out and you will be a light to the world.

Continuing on in Psalm 119, verse 165 says, Great peace have those who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble. Those who love the law will have peace.  Those who love God’s Law and follow it will not stumble.  Have you ever had a time in your life where things have felt out of control? Maybe in finances, stress, family, friends, divorce, or maybe the death of someone close?  Maybe you know someone else who is dealing with a difficult situation. Maybe that is happening for you now. I encourage you to pray about it. Pray for your friend. Seek out God’s Word.  Ask what you can do, where you can help. Ask God where He can help. I also strongly encourage you to seek God’s Word daily. Refresh your Spirit daily in His Word. Because as 1 Timothy 4:13 says, “Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.”   

Don’t be discouraged if your prayers aren’t immediately answered, as Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” The LORD declares that he has plans for you.  Lean on His truth and Word, and he will reward you greatly.

Pray

No comments:

Post a Comment