Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Selfless

When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.
Proverbs 11:2

Today in devos we talked about humility and selflessness.  We talked about by doing things of ourselves, we are prideful, and somehow in the world pride has been seen as okay.  We need to be selfless people, doing things for the Glory of God, not ourselves.  As we were talking about this, I began thinking about one of my closest friends, Tia Lynn.  Follow the link to her blog (I laught out loud, I cry, I'm moved).  I am amazed at the work she is doing.  Currently, Tia is in Bulembu, Africa.... a village inside Swaziland. She works at a clinic, treating and testing patients for HIV and TB.  I am dreadfully terrified of an accidental needle stick, danger of sickness, and danger in a new country.  But here she is, testing people, joyful, and trusting in God to keep her safe.  That's faith and a selfless quality that i'd like to obtain.  She is smart and so optimistic in this country that has such dreadful statistics when it comes to healthy living.  Reading her blog I find nothing but joy, and that gives me hope.  She isn't concerned for herself, but for the kids.  She isn't concerned about her own needs, but instead she takes time out of her schedule to be with someone or offer to be with them while they are sick at the hospital.  All this time, every post on her blog, she gives God all the glory... even amidst death and tragic sickness.  Every post has a Bible verse, every part where she mentions a worry, she instantly says "But I know God will help" or something to that effect.  Her selflessness moves me, motivates me, makes me question my "selfless" work,  Where else can I help? Who can I help?  Am I willing to suffer for the good of those around me?  She has passion.  She suffers for what's right, she puts other people before her; most importantly she puts God first.  She is someone to see as an example, and we've been friends for years.  It's funny, when you spend every day with them, or a lot of time with friends, you start to talk like them, act like them.  So I'm challenging myself with this, while Tia is in Africa (and after), how can I be selfless like her? How can I be selfless like Jesus?

Then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
Philippians 2:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment